Sunday, April 4, 2010

Old can be new

I have a special place for old houses.  Maybe because I grew up in several different ones and the neighborhoods I lived in were filled with them.  I have found that to be an anomaly in too many places here in the states.  My parents moved to Belgium when I went to college and lived  there for 27 years.  I loved the way Europeans would keep the old but make it new again.  They didn't need to tear it all down.  It was perfectly acceptable to have a beautiful old plaster ceiling and big solid doors lead into a modern kitchen with glass and stainless steel.  The celebrated the dicotomy and often made that difference into a new kind of whole.  Hopefully, I will be able to add a little to that movement and support that belief.  Let's make the old new again rather than discarding it and building something that doesn't carry a history.

No comments:

Post a Comment